Homes for Sale
Recent Home Sales
King City History
MAP of King City (pdf)
Senior Tax Deferral
Helpful Moving Tips
4 weeks before you move
- Discard or sell anything you don't really need.
- Start a log of moving expense receipts.
- Review your moving arrangements.
- Make a list of the items you wish to move.
- Arrange transport service for vehicles if needed.
- Collect packing cartons for those items you want to pack personally.
- Change your address on magazine subscriptions.
- Inform the Post Office and complete a Change of Address
- Prepare list of address change notices.
- Circulate your change of address to friends and businesses.
- Have your W-2s and other tax forms forwarded.
- If this is a permanent move-clear any unpaid tax assessments.
- Contact your doctors. Get referrals for new physicians.
- Arrange for transfer of all medical and dental records to your
- Change your property, auto, and medical insurance policies.
- Change any direct deposits.
- Check auto licensing requirements for your destination.
- Give day care provider notice that you will be withdrawing your
- Transfer school records to new school.
- Arrange for transfer of jewelry and important documents.
- Organize important documents in a fire-safe box.
- Close local charge accounts.
- Arrange for shipment of pets and immunization records.
- Make travel plans.
- Make hotel reservations and note to confirm before departure.
2 Weeks before you move
- Collect all clothing and items from the Dry Cleaner.
- Hold a garage sale to get rid of the things you don't want to take.
- Have all medical prescriptions refilled and confirm that they are refillable at your new destination.
- Disconnect utility services.
- Begin packing things that aren't used on a daily basis.
- Have your bank transfer your accounts and release your safe deposit box.
- Take measurements of rooms in your new house. Try to determine where furniture will be placed.
- Make arrangements to have special appliances serviced for move.
- Try not to buy more perishable food items.
1 Week before you move
- Dispose of all flammables and explosives.
- Make an inventory list of all items going with you personally.
- Confirm arrangements and dates with moving and storage companies.
- Inform friends and relatives of your new address.
- Have your cleaning supplies ready.
- Pack suitcases. Include all items you will need until your shipment arrives.
- Pack yard and shed items.
- Select games and books to occupy children while traveling.
- If travelling with children, arrange for baby sitter for moving day so that personal attention can be given
to the move.
The Day Before
- Finish packing personal belongings.
- Close bank accounts.
- Purchase traveler's checks, if needed.
- Finish all financial matters relating to the sale or lease of your home.
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer and let them air out for at least 24 hours. Also clean and
air out your stove.
- Be available to answer mover's inquiries and be prepared to give directions or have someone there authorized
to do so.
- Confirm delivery address, directions and delivery date with movers.
- Accompany the movers representative while he prepares the inventory list of items for your signature.
- Make a last-minute check of your appliances to see that they have been disconnected.
- Thoroughly clean your house or apartment before leaving.
- Check thermostat. Make sure doors are closed and locked and appliances are turned off. Leave garage door
openers and keys with new owners or renters, if necessary.
- Sign the Bill of Lading and make sure it shows desired valuation, correct delivery address as well as your
contact address en route. Save copies of all shipping documents.
Final cost information will be determined after your shipment has been weighed.
- Make sure your real estate agent knows how to contact you.
- Upon arrival at your destination, call the moving company promptly and verify that they have your new address
and phone number so that they can make arrangements for delivery of your shipment.
- Make sure all utilities are functioning.
- Let family and friends know you have arrived safely.
- Be present during unloading ready to direct placement of your furniture.
- Check the condition of your belongings. If any items are damaged or missing, note this on the inventory
list and report it to the movers immediately.
- Let your kids begin unpacking and getting their rooms together.
- Kick your feet up, relax, and enjoy!